16 June 2008

Hope, Patience, and Glory

I mentioned last week that my oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia) was glorious, and so indeed it is.


I planted it about 5 years ago. At the time, it was an unprepossessing shrublet in a 1-gallon pot from a local garden centre.

Gardening is nothing if not hope put into action. I planted the little hydrangea in a corner of the yard which called for a large shrub, gave it a little manure and plenty of water, and waited.

This spring, it is 4 feet high, and covered with 8-10" long sheaves of white blossoms. Glorious.

Panicle

I think I also mentioned some time back that I was surprised at how pretty the leaves of the gooseberry are. Behold:

Invicta

At the moment, the gooseberries are unpreposessing shrublets, and it remains to be seen if they will grow to become glorious in their time. I shall try to be patient, and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...