26 August 2009

What (else) I did on my summer vacation

What else did I do on my summer vacation, besides making zucchini fritters?


I played in the ocean -- not enough, though to be honest I'm not sure there is such a thing as 'enough playing in the ocean' for me. I took luxurious naps almost daily. I dedicated a significant portion of my mental capacity (such as it is) to trying to figure out Harpoon Hanna's coconut muffins.

And, of course, I knitted. I packed three unfinished projects, and finished two: a hat (Sutro Heights) to go with my Just Enough Ruffles scarf, and the cowl for Sis I'd been working on since last Christmas. Photos (click through to Flickr for larger versions):

Hat and Scarf! What I did on my summer vacation, part 1

I love the Classic Elite Wool Bam Boo I used for the cowl. Love love love it. Beautiful hand and drape, and the lace pattern opened up like a dream. I'm looking hard at my queue, because now I want to knit something for myself with it.

I made excellent progress on the third project, an Oat Couture Fisherman T-Shirt for Nephew the Younger:

Oat Couture Fisherman T-shirt

That's all of the front and back, plus half the first sleeve. I adapted the pattern to work the body in the round until the armscyes and then worked the front and back yokes separately. Yes, yes, I know I have ranted in the past about the value of seams, but this particular combination of pattern and yarn adapted well to seamlessness.

Yarn is KnitPicks Comfy Sport in Honey Dew. It is nice and soft and easy on the fingers but I'm a little worried that it will pill.

In addition to knitting the remaining 1.5 sleeves and sewing them on, I need to find buttons. I'm thinking something with fish or frogs or maybe crabs would be a good choice. I tried the local Joann fabrics but found nothing I liked there. I really like these frog buttons but the smallest they come is 19 mm (about 3/4 inch), and that is too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...