04 May 2010

"Sheep and shepherds, trees and crooks"

Saturday. Sheep & Wool. Too warm to look at wool and too crowded ('oh right,' Maman said, 'this is why we come on Sunday'). And yet, nevertheless, there we were, with hats, sunscreen, and I with my new Thermos water bottle, which did an amazing job keeping ice water icy for hours, and (even better) didn't leak all over my bag or purchases.


We got there early, but there was still a several-mile backup down Rte. 32. I forgot my camera, so no sheep pictures, nor any pictures of the parking area being full and forcing people across the street to overflow parking at the Farm Heritage Museum.

Saying "I went to the Sheep and Wool Festival and bought some yarn. It's really pretty" is, to me, a bit like saying "I went to Game 7 of the World Series and watched some guys play baseball. Some of them threw the ball, and some of them caught the ball." Accurate, but lacking in satisfying details.

So, here's the yarn I bought:

Dragonfly Fibers Naiad Sock

Dragonfly Fibers Naiad Sock, fingering weight, 70% superwash merino, 20% bamboo, 10% nylon; 4oz/466 yd skein; colour: Black Pearl.

Three Irish Girls Glenhaven Cashmerino

Three Irish Girls Glenhaven Cashmerino, fingering weight, 80% superwash merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 3.5 oz/380 yd skein; colour: Alchemy.

(Alchemy? Is that what colour alchemy is? I had no idea.)

Monday, I spent 6 hours at Mr Jiffy Tune trying to get some routine maintenance done on the car, which is not quite how I wanted to spend the day. I took some knitting with me but a woman with three-year-old twins in Naptime Meltdown arrived right as I was starting the main pattern. I suspect I am going to have to pull it all out and start over. Screaming toddlers are not good for my ability to count. To be fair, it was not the twins' fault; you cannot hold a three-year-old child responsible for the fact that he needs a nap and is not home to get it.  I am not sure it was entirely the mother's fault either; she seemed to think whatever was up with her car needed attention now.  I probably should have stopped knitting at once but I didn't want to give a message of "I expect your children to be horrible" when it wasn't necessarily warranted.  Oh well.

Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...