23 October 2008

Neological Follies

I try not to be too much of a fussy Prescriptionist when it comes to language. I try especially hard not to be too Prescriptionist when it comes to new words. Grammar is a different story, but again, I try not to be a pill about it.

Living languages change and evolve. It's part of them being living languages. So bring on the neologisms -- if they're worth anything, it's good to have them, and if they aren't, they'll disappear fast enough.

That said, I think that 'webinar' (= seminar given over a web-based application, rather than in a classroom setting) has to be the most appalling, and least euphonious, neologism I have heard in a loooooong time, and I can only wish it a speedy demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...