09 November 2011

sweet music here that softer falls

For whatever foolish reason, when the weather turns cold, I turn nostalgic.

It's generally a harmless and vague feeling, easily dispelled.  Feeding the beast, quite literally, is often the most effective way of doing so.  So this weekend, I made sticky toffee pudding.  This is one of the definitive sweets of my St Andrews years and I haven't eaten it since I moved away.

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Recipe from Chow.com.  I like that this recipe is made in ramekins so it turns out tidy little individual servings.  The puddings do pop right out of the ramekins once they're cooled, and it doesn't take more than a tablespoonful of the toffee sauce to cloak them nicely.

The toffee sauce is simple to make.  I don't quite understand why the recipe refers you to a 'slacker solution' of homemade caramel sauce as an alternative to the toffee sauce -- making caramel is about as easy (or not) as making the toffee sauce.  A purchased caramel sauce could certainly work in a pinch, but if you're going to the bother of making the pudding, it really isn't much additional bother to make the sauce.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...