14 May 2012

Rejoice, thou humble grass, thou new-born lily flower

Regular visitors to The Belfry have heard of my fondness for martagon lilies and the vicissitudes I've experienced trying to grow them for myself.

I am happy to report that my most recent attempt to plant some did not result in another unexpectedly candy-coloured creature in my front garden.

Behold:

Martagon lilies

A martagon lily. Behind it, you'll see another about to open. They are not quite 6 feet tall (in fact they're closer to 3 right now) but these are immature plants. Give them a few years to settle in and I'll have my 6-foot purple -- and white -- lilies.

Next challenge: find some Madonna lilies (Lilium candidum) and get those going.

William Blake

2 comments:

  1. Did Nana's iris bloom for you this year? I think you took all of my good ones because none of mine bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it didn't, and I swear I only took two. My irises weren't terribly impressive this year either -- I got one bloom stalk out of the mystery iris and one out of 'Babbling Brook.'

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...