02 June 2008

Dragonhide Helm

Well, watchcap. Pattern coming soon.

Dragonhide Helm, complete

The colour is WAY off -- it is actually much greener. It's Mission Falls 1824 Wool in 'Teal' (30). No amount of fiddling with camera or processing got the colour right.

I am really happy with the way the pattern worked out. Now that it is worked out, it's very simple and I'm wondering why it took me so long to get there, but I guess this is just another case for my argument that simplicity is often as hard to get right as complexity, and maybe even harder.

I am really unhappy with the way the yarn worked out. It streeeeeetched when I washed it, and the ribbing went completely slack. It still fits the Viking and he assures me it's fine, but I. am. NOT. happy. I really wanted to like the 1824 Wool, and to be fair it was lovely to knit up. But I tossed it in the washer (not even with detergent -- just a swish and rinse) and all its spring went away.

I guess I should be grateful that I learned this on a 2-skein hat, rather than a bigger project. I was actually considering using the 1824 Wool for a pullover for the Viking. That could have been catastrophic; at least this is just annoying.

Dragonhide, close up

1 comment:

  1. I had that happen with Southwest Trading Company's Optimum wool - *after* I'd finished an entire sweater. Sigh.

    Thing is, I confess to not having washed the swatch, but even if I had I'm not sure I'd have noticed the lack of elasticity. It showed much more in the ribbing, and the gauge swatch was stockinette.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...